After the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) released a new scoresheet, PTE teachers who upgraded their skills to the current Competency Based Curriculum (CBC) will benefit big.
Teachers who present their CBC upgrading certificate during recruitment interviews will receive 10 marks on the new scoresheet compared to other applicants , according to the Commission.
In the upcoming TSC mass recruitment, P1 teachers who are undertaking upgrading in different Teacher Training Colleges (TTC) would have an advantage.
After completing their practicum in September of this year, the Diploma upgrading students will graduate.
By recognizing their credentials as being in line with the new curriculum, TSC has already hinted at favoring this particular teachers.
In this July 2022 recruitment the Commission has introduced an option for P1 teachers to indicate if they have the CBC upgrade certificate.
The Commission has made available a scoresheet, which reveals that the teachers will receive 10 marks for improving their teaching skills.
It is unclear if the Commission will make use of the teacher trainees assessment number for this hiring process. Only a CBC upgrade certificate has been requested so far by TSC from applicants.
Before receiving the coveted CBC certificate, Diploma upgrading students are required to complete a full term practicum following general elections.
On July 4th, the Kenya Teachers Colleges Association will convene for a two-day meeting to discuss the matter.
The following are some of the major concerns the Principal of teacher training colleges will examine before the September practicum:
1. Trainers guide
2. Learning areas cluster
3. Work sharing between teacher trainees and the regular teachers/mentors
4. Roles of regular teacher/mentor
5. Number of trainees per school and per class
6. Types of schools for posting (Public/Private)
7. September practicum schedule/time plan
8. Number and spread of internal assessments per teacher trainee
9. Students welfare during practicum
10. Professional documents (schemes, lesson plans, assessment records etc)
CALENDAR FOR DIPLOMA UPGRADING STUDENTS
|Term 1||4th October 2021||23rd December 2021||12 weeks|
|Holiday||23rd December 2021||3rd January 2022||1 week|
|Term 2||3rd January 2022||8th April 2022||14 weeks|
|Holiday||8th April 2022||29th April 2022||3 weeks|
|Term 3||3rd May 2022||5th August 2022||14 weeks|
|Holiday||6th August 2022||25th September 2022||7 weeks|
|Term 4||26th September 2022||25th November 2022||9 week practicum|
For P1 teachers who want to upgrade to Diploma Primary Teacher Education (DPTE) they must meet the following requirements;
1. The applicant must possess a valid PTE Certificate
2. The applicant must be registered by the Teachers Service Commission.
3. The duration of the course shall be 1500 Hours.
4. The Course shall be fully residential.
5. The trainee shall take all courses specified in the upgrading programme of Diploma in Primary Teacher Education
6. The trainees shall undertake a Teaching Practicum of 300 Hours.
7. To be awarded the Diploma, the trainee must complete the required hours for Course Work and the stipulated assessment by the Kenya National Examination Council.
8. Applicants shall be required to produce evidence of adherence to positive morals and good behavior.