The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) manages a continuous new teacher registration program for qualified professionals looking to work as tutors around the nation.
Individuals receive a TSC Number and Certificate after successfully registering.
It is significant to remember that, in accordance with Section 23(2) of the TSC Act (2012), it is unlawful to provide educational teaching services without the appropriate certification.
In Part III of the TSC Code of Regulations for Teachers (2015), the registration procedure and requirements for teachers are described in detail.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in education, a bachelor’s degree in arts or sciences, or a diploma in early childhood education (ECDE) or primary teacher education (PTE) to be eligible for registration as teachers through TSC.
Applicants can apply for certification through the TSC website (www.teachersonline.go.ke). Before beginning the application process, it is advisable to ensure all necessary documents are readily available.
Qualifications for TSC Registration for Teachers
- ECDE Teachers Certificate:
- Minimum CPE/KCPE together with an ECDE Certificate from the Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC).
- KCSE mean grade of D+ (minimum) and an ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
- Minimum mean grade of D (plain) at KCSE, a KNEC proficiency certificate, and an ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
- Diploma ECDE Teachers:
- KCSE Mean grade of C Plain and an ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
- KCSE Mean grade of C+ (minimum) plus a University Diploma in ECDE.
- Degree ECDE Teachers:
- KCSE Mean grade of C+ (and above) and a Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree in ECDE.
Primary Teachers Registration Requirements:
- Possess a PTE (P1) Certificate from KNEC.
- Hold a Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree (Primary education) with two teaching subjects from an accredited university.
Secondary School Teachers Qualifications:
- Have a Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree in two teaching subjects, a KCSE mean grade of C+ (or above), and the same grade in both specialization subjects.
- Possess a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree, a KCSE mean grade of C+ (or above), and the same grade in both specialization subjects, along with a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE).
- Hold a minimum of a Diploma in Education, a KCSE mean grade of C+, and the same grade in both specialization subjects on the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education.
Applicants must submit the following documents for TSC registration:
- Certificate of Good Conduct.
- Relevant academic and professional certificates from recognized institutions.
- Copy of National ID Card or Passport with a passport photo.
- KRA Pin Certificate.
- Duly filled GP 69 Medical Form.
- For New Registration a non-refundable fee of Kshs. 1050/- paid during the process through E-Citizen government payment methods (MPesa, Airtel Money, KCB Cash,Equity Cash, E-Agent), is required before submitting your application.
For non-citizens, the following additional documents are required:
- Academic and Professional Certificates and evidence for registration as a teacher obtained in Kenya or the country of origin (equated by relevant public body in Kenya).
- Certificate of Registration as a teacher or authority to teach in the country of origin.
- Valid Entry/Work Permit issued by the Department of Immigration.
- Valid Certificate of Good Conduct issued by the relevant law enforcement agency in the country of origin.
- Vetting letter from the Ministry of Education (Kenya) and prescribed fee.
New TSC Teacher Registration Process
- Scan all original documents (no need for certification if you have the original documents). Ensure that each uploaded file is under 1MB in size.
- Access the TSC online portal using this link: https://teachersonline.tsc.go.ke/. Read through all the steps before clicking the link to understand the requirements.
- Click on ‘New Teacher Registration’ in the top left corner of the window.
- Enter your National ID card number or Passport number and Last Name, then click “Next.”
- Provide your phone number, KRA PIN, and category (ECDE, Primary, or Post-Primary for secondary).
- Fill in personal information such as religion, birth date, gender, country of origin, county of residence, postal code, occupation, contact information, and email and physical addresses.
- Upload scanned documents one by one. Merge lengthy documents like transcripts into a single PDF.
- Enter details in the provided fields for each uploaded document (Institution, From, To, Specialization, Certificate Number, Certificate Year).
- Click “Choose file” to select and upload the document. Then click “save document” to upload it to your profile. Continue this process for all required documents.
- Provide additional information, such as major, number of hours spent studying each week, and overall grade.
- Specify the payment mode used and click ‘finalize and save everything.’
- The TSC will review your application and provide feedback.
- Regularly log back into the portal to check for updates.
After submitting the application, applicants can expect a response within 30 days. Once approved, the TSC certificate will be printed and mailed to the provided address.