The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) has updated the recruitment guidelines for new teachers. These rules apply anytime a vacancy must be filled competitively through an interview following an advertisement.
As a result, those seeking TSC teaching jobs and those involved in the recruitment process (including the general public) should carefully study these recommendations.
All applicants must be registered teachers, according to Section 23 (1) of the Teachers Service Commission Act, Cap. 212. Those who do not have registration certificates must submit a printout of their verified status as proof of registration.
Applicants who do not meet the registration requirements, however, will not be considered for recruitment. Applicants requesting confirmation of results from the Kenya National Examinations Council, KNEC, should provide the address of the county director to whom they have filed their applications.
Applicants who work in other government departments and meet the qualifications are able to apply. Applicants must submit their applications to the Secretary of the Board of Management of the respective institution, with a copy to the office of the TSC Sub-County Director.
Heads of institutions must acknowledge applications in writing upon receipt. Following the completion of the shortlisting procedure, heads of institutions shall quickly notify those who did not meet the shortlisting criteria (explaining why).
The TSC Sub-County Director shall develop a list of all applicants in each institution for convenience of reference and present it during the interview. The date, location, and time of the interview should be posted on notice boards at county, sub-county, zonal, and institutional offices.
Heads of institutions should contact all shortlisted applicants through SMS (short messaging service) at least seven days before the interview date. This rule must be rigorously followed to ensure that all applicants are advised of the date, location, and time of the interview.
All applicants, regardless of gender, disability, race, or home county, should be treated equally. However, in the event of a tie, the following factors will be considered in order of priority:
- Applicants with disabilities
- Age of the applicant (44-45 years) with previous teaching experience of three years and had not worked with the Commission previously
- Quality of certificates presented i.e.; higher aggregate KCSE grade should first be considered. If the applicants tie at the aggregate grade, the subject grades should be used
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not been previously employed by the Commission. The names of interviewed applicants ranked in order of performance during the selection process for each vacancy (Appendix iii) will then be submitted to the Commission
To be employed by the Commission one must meet the following requirements;
- One Must be a Kenyan citizen
- Must be 45 years of age and below
- Must be registered as a teacher as stipulated in Section 23 of the Teachers Service Commission Act 2012.
- Those registered but do not possess Certificates of Registration must attach a copy of the online printout of the TSC Number and the original bank pay-in slip for teacher registration.
Original Professional and Academic Certificates which may include;
- CPE/KCPE Certificate
- KCE/KCSE Certificate
- PTE Certificate
- Diploma Certificate
- Degree Certificate
- School Leaving Certificate