Teachers that teach at the pre-primary level are known as Early Childhood Development Education, or ECDE.
Teachers are registered with the Teachers Service Commission (TSC), which is responsible for registering, employing, dismissing, and promoting or demoting teachers in Kenya.
General requirements for registration of teachers in Kenya
- Certificate of Good Conduct
- Relevant academic and professional certificates from recognized
- A copy of Identity Card or Passport
- Passport photo
- KRA Pin Certificate
- Dully filled GP 69 Medical Form and
- Payment of registration fee;
Non-refundable fee of Kshs. 1055/- Deposit is made to the TSC;
Registration Account –
National Bank of Kenya – No. 01001000905001
or Simple Banking using Pay Bill Business Number 625625
Non Kenyan Citizen
- Academic and Professional Certificates and other evidence for
registration as a teacher obtained in Kenya or the country of origin
- Academic and Professional Certificates. NB: Must have been awarded by an accredited foreign institution and equated by the relevant public body in Kenya
- Certificate of Registration as a teacher or authority to teach in the country of origin
- A valid Entry / Work Permit issued by the Department of Immigration
- A valid Certificate of Good Conduct issued by the relevant law enforcement agency in the country of origin
- Vetting letter from the Ministry of Education (Kenya) and
- Prescribed fee of Kshs. 1055
NB: All documents must be certified by either a TSC Director or TSC Sub –
TSC Registration Requirements for ECDE Teachers
Requirements for ECDE teachers are classified into three categories;
- Minimum of CPE/KCPE plus ECDE Certificate from
- Minimum mean grade D+(plus) at KCSE and ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
- Minimum mean grade D (plain) at KCSE, KNEC proficiency certificate, ECDE Certificate from KNEC
- Mean grade C Plain at KCSE and ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
- Mean grade C+ (plus) and above for University Diploma.
- Mean grade C+ and above
Certificate of profficiency certificate