Teachers will be transferred by the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) in order to achieve staff balancing across the country. The drill will take place this month, just before schools resume.
Regional directors are to work with county directors to implement teacher rationalization in their regions of jurisdiction, according to the commission.
“As a result, you must communicate with the County Directors in your respective Regions and undertake staff/teacher rationalization in order to achieve a fair re-distribution among the schools in your Regions,” the teachers’ employer said in a statement.
The following considerations will be considered when transferring teachers and/or assigning assignments to rectify teacher imbalances (unless the teacher requests otherwise): –.
- The age of the teacher: Teachers aged 56 years and above will be exempted from the transfer out of the area of their current work stations.
- Health status: Teachers with proven cases of terminal illness will be exempt from transfers out of the current Sub–County of work. However, the Committee will evaluate each case on its own merit taking into consideration the supporting Medical documents, the availability and accessibility to the appropriate medical facilities amongst other factors in the proposed station.
- Teachers with Disabilities; Teachers with disability with the necessary certification will be exempted from transfers outside their current station sub County.
- When transferring teachers, priority shall be given to schools within the Sub–County within the targeted shortage before transferring out of the Sub County.
- Family considerations: Transfer couples who are employees of the Commission and have formally declared their marital status in the same neighbourhood where possible.
- Length of stay since first appointment: the teacher must have served in a station for a period of not less than three (3) years and five (5) years for North Eastern and other areas respectively since first appointment; unless otherwise authorized by the Commission Secretary.
Teachers who have applied for and are qualified for transfer will be given first priority. Teachers who meet the conditions for transfer will be considered by the Commission.
- “First in, first out factor‘.
- Gender balance where applicable.
- Teacher‘s security where applicable.
As a result, teachers will be transferred on a regular basis to resolve staffing gaps and guarantee equal distribution and optimal teacher utilization.
Except in emergency situations, teacher transfers will take place during the school holidays to guarantee stability and the smooth operation of the school program/s.