TSC New Teacher Registration Guidelines & requirements(ECDE,PTE, DIPLOMA and DEGREE teachers)
TSC New Teacher Registration Guidelines-Continuous registration for qualified teachers is conducted by the Teachers Service Commission (TSC). The commission also assesses the qualifications of candidates for teaching positions in terms of their training and education.
Once registered, a person receives a TSC Number and Certificate. Anyone who is not a teacher must be registered as a teacher according to TSC Act (2012) Section 23(2). Conditions and Procedure for Teacher Registration are also included in Part III of the TSC Code of Regulations for Teachers (2015).
LATEST CATEGORIES OF TEACHERS TO BE REGISTERED BY TSC AS PER 2022
TSC registers teachers having the following qualifications:
- Early Child Development Education-ECDE
- Primary Teacher Education-PTE
- Diploma in Education
- Diploma in Education for Visually and hearing impaired
- Bachelor of Education
- Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Science
Qualifications for ECDE teachers registration
Each of the categories of trained teachers posses unique minimum registration requirements.
Minimum requirements for Certificate ECDE teachers
- Have a Minimum of CPE/KCPE together with an ECDE Certificate from the Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC). OR
- Have a KCSE mean grade of D+(minimum) and an ECDE Certificate from KNEC. OR
- Have a Minimum mean grade of D (plain) at KCSE, a KNEC proficiency certificate, plus an ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
Minimum requirements for Diploma ECDE teachers
- Have a KCSE Mean grade of C Plain and an ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
- Have a KCSE Mean grade of C+ (minimum) plus a University Diploma in ECDE.
Minimum requirements for Degree ECDE teachers
- Have a KCSE Mean grade C+ (and above) and a Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree in ECDE.
Requirements for primary teachers registration
Primary school teachers should have the following minimum requirements for them to be registered:
- Have a PTE (P1) Certificate from KNEC.
- Have Bachelors of Education (B.Ed.) degree (Primary education) (with 2 teaching subjects) from an accredited university.
Qualifications for the registration of secondary school teachers
- Have a Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree in 2 teaching subjects, a KCSE mean grade C+ (or above) and the same grade in your two specialization subjects. OR
- Have a BA (Bachelor of Arts) degree or a BSc. (Bachelor of Science) degree, a KCSE mean grade C+ (or above), plus the same grade in your two specialization subjects and a PGDE.
- Have a Diploma in Education (minimum) plus a Minimum KCSE grade C Plus or above and C+ or above in the two subjects specialization.