This post outlines the TSC Minimum Qualifications for PGDE in Kenya (Post Graduate Diploma in Education).
- Hold a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science degree from a recognized university in Kenya.
- Must have scored a mean grade of C+ in your O levels.
- You must have obtained a C+ grade (minimum) in the two teaching subjects you intend to specialize in
If you intend to pursue a career as a technical teacher in a related field, you can also apply for the PGDE in accordance with the TSC’s standards for secondary teachers.
- Must have scored a mean grade of C+ in your O levels (or it’s equivalent). Also acceptable are 1 principle pass and 2 subsidiaries at the ‘A’ level.
- You must have obtained a C+ grade (minimum) or a credit pass in the two technical subjects you intend to specialize in.
- Have a Bed TECH (Bachelor of Education Technology) degree from a university approved by the CUE (commission of higher education) OR
- Hold a Bachelor of Science (BSC) degree in the applicable technical Subject(s)/Course.
Those who are unable to pursue a DTTE (Diploma in Technical Teacher Education) from KTTC for any reason should consider this alternative (Kenya Technical Teachers College).
For the hiring of technical teachers, TSC requires either a PDGE or a DTTE (postgraduate diploma in technical education) from KTTC, as noted above. Do the math to see which of the two is better for you.
When considering a PGDE, keep in mind that graduate teachers must have completed at least eight undergraduate course units in each subject area in which they will teach. And this applies to all degrees.
It is critical that you follow the above standards since you do not want to waste time or money studying for a PGDE if you will not be qualified to be considered for secondary school teaching positions thereafter.
Another group of teachers who can benefit from obtaining a PGDE is those who were hired with a Bachelor of Arts or Science degree and intend to pursue a Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree, possibly for professional advancement reasons.
TSC requires that you earn a PGDE before applying for admission to the MED program at any university in Kenya that offers the program for this cohort.
Where to pursue a PGDE in Kenya.
- MMUST (Masinde Muliro University)
- UoN- University of Nairobi
- Machakos University College
- KU- Kenyatta University
- Moi University
- Kisii University
- CUEA – The Catholic University of Eastern Africa
- Baraton University (officially referred to as the University of Eastern Africa Baraton)
- MKU- Mount Kenya University (they also offer an online postgraduate diploma in education)
- PUEA- The Presbyterian University of East Africa
- UoE- University of Eldoret
- KCA University (Thika Road)
- Egerton University
- Chuka University
- Maseno University
- Daystar University
You are required to choose two teaching subjects to undertake
And because you’re getting ready to instruct in two subjects from the secondary school curriculum that have been approved, you should choose subject combinations like:
- Mathematics /Fine Arts
- Biological Sciences/biology and Geography
- Religious Education and Physics/Physical Sciences
- Economics/Commerce and Chemistry
- English /History
- French /Kiswahili
Post graduate diploma in education fees.
Institution PGDE fees Statutory /administrative charges
- Kenyatta University Kshs. 130,000 Kshs. 23,500
- University of Eldoret Kshs. 100, 000 (arts) and Kshs.120,000 (sciences) Kshs. 60,650 (arts) and Kshs.65,650 (sciences)
- Maseno university Kshs. 76,000 About Kshs. 15,000
- KCA university (distance learning) Kshs. 85,345
- Mt Kenya University (as per the MKU PGDE fee structure ) Kshs. 49,550.00 per semester (count 2 semesters) Kshs.120000.