According to the Teachers Service Commission (TSC), 2,000 teachers retire each year on average. In order to speed up the processing of these teachers’ pensions, the Human Resource Management Department and the Pension Department have been combined.
The main objective of this was to do away with the bureaucracies that have caused delays in the processing of pensions before they are forwarded to the Treasury Pension Department for payment.
The commission did away with the manual way of moving from one department to the other while making pension claims.
Nancy Macharia, the CEO for Teachers Service Commission said this system will offer seamless service delivery that will accelerate the processing of pension for those who retire yearly in good time.
Requirements for Pension Processing
In order to expedite the process of claiming your pension, the commission has highlighted some of the requirements that one should provide in order for the pension to be processed in time.
These requirements include;
1. Submitting Retirement Documents in Time
Firstly, before you retire, ensure that you submit the following documents to the commission as soon as you find your retirement period is near.
These documents are;
- Dully filled TSC clearance certificate
- Two copies of bank plate both sides
- Two copies of National ID both sides.
- Duly completed lump sum payment form ( bank Form)
- Dully completed option to commute pension form in duplicate
- Two copies of all promotion letters/certificates
- Copies of marriage certificates/affidavit to confirm names for married teachers whose documents have different names
- The earliest copy of payslip showing Women’s and Children’s Pensions Scheme (WCPS) deductions for male teachers
- Those teachers who served as untrained teachers to attach their NSSF statement.
- Two copies of KRA PIN certificate
2. Accurate and Complete Documentation
Make sure that the above documents submitted to TSC are complete and accurate. An slight difference in the documents submitted will result to delays in pension processing.
All retired teachers to diligently fill the documents and ensure that they provide information as per the TSC guidelines.
3. Compliance With Contribution Requirements
During the Teachers’ working years, the commission requires that the remit a certain percentage of their salary to the pension scheme.
Therefore, its important for teachers to ensure that they comply to these contributions for the entire teaching period. Any discrepancy in the contribution will orchestrate delays in processing pension dues.
Nonetheless, teachers should make a follow up of their contributions to ensure they are made in time and required percentage.
4. Proper Record Keeping
Teachers are encouraged to keep the record of all the Pension-related documents which can greatly facilitate the Pension processing.
In short, keep all copies of documents submitted to TSC to ensure that in case of a dispute, you have the evidence for the same.
TSC Documents For Pension Processing
Finally, other things that are needed for hastening the process of processing pension include;
- Prompt response to TSC queries
- Regular follow-up with TSC
- Seeking assistance when needed