TTCs, or Diploma Teachers Training Colleges, train professional teachers for secondary schools. Their intakes occur on a yearly basis, and KCSE students are placed by the Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS).
KUCCPS, however, does not place all students. If you did not apply through KUCCPS, you should not be worried because you have a second chance.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE DIPLOMA IN PRIMARY TEACHER EDUCATION (DPTE)
- Diploma in Primary Teacher Education (Grade 1-6) entry grade is KCSE Mean Grade of C (Plain) or its equivalent with a C (Plain) in the following cluster subjects.(English and Kiswahili;Mathematics;Humanities (Any); Sciences (Any).)
- For candidates with disabilities the minimum entry grade is C- (Minus) and a C- (Minus) in the cluster of subjects stated above.
- The duration of the course shall be three (3) years in accordance with the approved Curriculum designs.
- The Trainees shall be required to cover the recommended hours for coursework, required hours for practicum and pass the assessments as directed by Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC).
- The Teacher Trainee shall undertake three months micro-teaching course which is a pre-requisite for teaching practice
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE DIPLOMA IN EARLY CHILDHOOD TEACHER EDUCATION (DECTE)
- The academic entry requirements for the Diploma in Early Childhood Teacher Education (DECTE) shall be C (Plain) Mean Grade in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (KCSE) or its equivalent (as equated by the Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC).
- Candidates with disabilities shall be admitted with C- (Minus) grade in KCSE or equivalent.
- The duration for the Diploma in Early Childhood Teacher Education (DECTE) shall be three (3) years.
- The trainees undertaking the Diploma in Early Childhood Teacher Education (DECTE) shall take ALL courses specified in the DECTE Curriculum.
- The trainees shall undertake a Micro Teaching course of three (3) months which shall be a pre-requisite for the Teaching Practicum of two school terms.
- To be awarded the Diploma in Early Childhood Teacher Education (DECTE), the candidate must complete the required hours for coursework and pass the stipulated assessment as directed by the Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC).