Schools around the country are facing major financial issues, forcing them to close earlier than planned.
According to the Ministry of Education’s calendar, the third term ends on October 27. This is one of the longest vacations, lasting 10 weeks.
According to a spot check by Education Updates media, most schools in Nairobi and Kisii counties have closed, with others intending to release learners next week.
Failure by the government to release capitation has occasioned the crisis which has seen most learning institutions go without cereals and other food materials to sustain the students.
Principals from selected institutions that spoke to us claim the government has only released 24 percent of the total amount leaving a balance of 76 percent.
“We are really struggling…there is no money and that is why we have been forced to close early,” a school principal who requested not to be named for fear of reprisal said.
The head argued that the situation has been exacerbated by the fact that suppliers are no longer willing to give the food material due to the huge amount owed to the schools.
“We have a debt of up to Sh31 million, they (suppliers) have run away, they no longer want to do business with us because we have not paid them,” the official added.
Parents at the particular school are said to owe a total of Sh10 million in fees arrears.
Under free primary education and free day secondary education policies, the government sets aside Sh1,420 and Sh22,244 for each learner as capitation funds for primary and secondary schools respectively every year.
This money is supposed to be remitted termly using a 50: 30: 20 formulae.
On May 30, 2023, Education Cabinet Secretary Ezekiel Machogu announced that the government will release Sh28 billion to Primary schools, junior and Senior Secondary schools in the country by May 2.
The closure happens at a time when the Form Four candidates are having the rehearsals for their KCSE.
The Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) announced that rehearsals will begin on October 19 with students set to sit for the exams on October 23.