THE KENYA UNIVERSITY AND COLLEGES CENTRAL PLACEMENT SERVICE(KUCCPS)
Eligibility for Government Sponsorship
- Which Universities and Colleges are eligible for placement of Government Sponsored Students?
- Which Programmes are eligible for sponsorship by the Government?
- Which candidates are eligible for Government sponsorship at any given year?
University and College Eligibility
The placement service will register all Universities and Colleges which are eligible for placement of Government sponsored students. In order to be considered for registration, the training institution must fall under the following categories.
- All Universities which are registered by Commission for University Education and their constituent colleges.
- All Universities which have been issued with a letter of interim authority
- All colleges registered by Technical and Vocational Education and Training
(TVET) offering Diploma Programmes under the TVET Certification Council Before TVETA is Operational
- Technical and vocational college offering programmes up to Diploma with curriculum approved by Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD)
- Teacher trainer colleges offering programme up to higher diploma level with curriculum approved by KICD or KIE
- National Polytechnics offering programme up to higher Diploma level with curriculum approved by KICD.
4. Medical Training colleges offering programmes with curriculum approved by KICD or KIE
Programme eligibility for Government Sponsorship
- For any programme to be eligible for receiving application and placement of the Government sponsored student it must be approved by the respective regulating agency and be offered exclusively by the Legible University or college and be;
- Programme leading to the award of Bachelors Degree offered by an eligible institution referred to under section 1(i)(a)
- Programme leading to the award of Diploma offered by an eligible institution referred to under section1 (i) (b)
- Programme leading to the award of a post-secondary education certificate offered by an eligible institution referred to under section1(i)(b)examined by a national body
- All the Programmes requiring the approval by the professional regulating body must be approved by the same.
- Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection 1 the programme must be identified as a priority area by the Government and
- Attract application from eligible applicants
- The following policy shall guide the Placement Board in determining the applicant eligible for placement under Government sponsorship
- Must be a Kenyan Citizen
- That all K.C.S.E. Candidates who hitherto had not benefitted from government scholarship be eligible to apply for placement to Degree and Diploma Courses, provided that Candidates of the year preceding the selection are given higher priority.
- The placement service will consider the KCSE Examination result of the 2013 as the immediate candidates for the purpose of subsection 1(iii) b as the initial cohort of candidates eligible.
Apportionment of Government sponsored students to declared capacities
- Determined by number of applications received
- Only candidates who apply and meets the minimum admission requirements for the programme applied for shall be considered for placement.
- The number of candidates to be placed in a given programme shall be done by merit
- Affirmative action criteria will be applied.
- Notwithstanding provisions of subsection 2(a) the Government may give sponsorships which are only tenable at a particular institution.
Guidelines for Processing the Government sponsored Students
- The Placement Service will receive from the Government prioritized areas of training
- The Placement Service shall advertise in the media and websites the Area of training prioritized by Government
- The eligible training institutions who have be registered with the placement service shall declare capacities available in their respective institutions for which they want government sponsored students
- The Placement Service shall publicize in its website all the declared capacity received from the registered Universities and college.
- The Placement Service shall publicize the guidelines for their application which shall include among other information the procedure of application, minimum entry requirement and the applicable application fees.
Placement to University and their constituent college as candidates for Bachelors degree and to Tertiary College as candidates for Diploma or certificates shall be open to all persons accepted as being qualified by the Placement board, without distinction of race, tribe, place of origin or residence or other local connections, political opinion, colour, creed or sex; and no barrier based on any such distinction shall be imposed up on any person as a condition being placed as a Government sponsored student in any of the eligible institution provided that;
- Only candidates who apply for placement will be considered for placement in the respective programmes applied
- Candidates must meet the minimum admission requirement approved by the respective regulating authority to be considered for placement
- Placement shall be on merit
- An affirmative action criteria approved by the Placement Service shall be applied for the marginalized and disadvantaged applicants.
- Applicants who will not manage to be placed in the preferred programmes may be requested to re-apply for placement consideration into programmes which may not satisfied the number required.
Technical and Vocational training Act 2013:
An Act of Parliament to provide for the establishment of a technical and vocational education and training system; to provide for the governance and management of institutions offering technical and vocational education and training; to provide for coordinated assessment, examination and certification; to institute a mechanism for promoting access and equity in training; to assure standards, quality and relevance; and for connected purposes
Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development Act, 2013:
An Act of Parliament to establish the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development; to establish the governing Council for the Institute and for connected purposes.
Leave a Reply