The Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS) has opened its portal to allow the 2021 KCSE examination candidates to start revising their university and college choices.
This follows a directive by Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha. Speaking at Thika Girls Karibaribi Secondary School in Kiambu County on Friday, Prof. Magoha announced that the application portal would remain open from May 20, 2022 to June 2, 2022.
All the 144,466 Kenyans with C+ and above who sat the 2021 KCSE examination are eligible to apply for degree programmes in the 70 universities,” said Prof Magoha.
He further encouraged the 2021 KCSE candidates who obtained the minimum university entry grade to also consider applying for courses in TVET institutions and Teacher Training Colleges (TTCS). Last year, over 6,000 Kenyans who had qualified for degree courses opted for diploma courses.
The other 671,415 Kenyans with mean grades ranging from C – to E in the 2021 KCSE examination are eligible for diploma, craft certificate and artisan certificate courses offered in 190 government institutions.
The overall minimum entry requirement for diploma courses is C – (minus); for craft certificate courses is D (plain); and for artisan certificate courses is E.
For the first time, KUCCPS will also be admitting students to the 32 government primary teacher training colleges. The 2021 and previous years’ KCSE candidates, including non-citizens, can apply to these TTCs.
Past candidates who sat for KCSE between the years 2000 and 2021 and scored C (plain) and above are eligible to apply for placement to the primary TTCs.
In addition, the three diploma-offering secondary TTCs – Kibabii, Lugari and Kagumo – will also be admitting students through KUCCPS under the Competency Based Curriculum system.
Prof Magoha encouraged students with C+ and above, who did technical subjects, to apply for these opportunities. Only those who apply through the KUCCPS portal will be considered for government sponsorship.
The CS directed the placement body to adhere to the strict timelines and so that all applicants are informed of their placement by the end of June.
The CS further directed the placement agency to ensure that the school portal is open in July 2022 for the current KCSE candidates to start selecting their preferred courses.
How to revise/ apply for Courses
- To apply or change your courses, access the portal via the website kuccps.ac.ke or log in directly through the link students.kuccps.net.
- You can also download the KUCCPS Students App.
- To apply, login to the Student’s Portal using your KCSE Index Number and KCSE Year. Use your Birth Certificate Number/KCPE Index Number as the Password.
- All programmes have minimum subject requirements. You will only be able to apply for a course whose minimum requirements you meet, but the selection will be determined by the overall performance and the available capacity. KUCCPS Online Application
- You may view the available programmes and their requirements by clicking the Programmes tab in the portal. You can also search for courses by institution, using the Institutions tab.
- As you select the programmes, you may move the ones that interest you into the Course Basket. This will enable you to work with a shorter list when preparing your final list of courses to apply for.
- Once you have settled on your preferred courses, you will only be required to enter the Programme Codes.
- To apply, use the Application/Revision tab to enter the Programme Codes.
- After confirming that the Programme Codes entered are for the courses you would like to apply for, please submit and follow the application fee payment instructions.
- An application processing fee is charged as follows:
- Students applying for the first time – Ksh 1,500
- Students revising their choices submitted in school – Ksh1,000
- The placement processing fee should be paid after you have selected courses.
- You are advised to keep your transaction code safely. It will be required before you make any subsequent changes to your application
How to Pay for Kuccps placement application
- Go to your Lipa na M-PESA Menu
- Select Pay Bill
- Enter Business Number 820211
- For the Account Number, enter your KCSE Year and KCSE Index Number (no space)
- Enter your M-PESA PIN and Send.