Key Functions and Responsibilities of TSC County Directors
The Kenyan Constitution of 2010 established several constitutional commissions, including the Teachers Service Commission (TSC). With a view to improving citizen access to services, the Commission is intended to decentralize its operations from its headquarters to counties under the terms of this constitution.
County Directors are one of the decentralized units that play a key role in the Commission’s daily operations.
In order to address all administrative and technical difficulties relating to teacher management at the county level, the TSC County Directors and other executives were appointed.
This article will guide you through the responsibilities of TSC County Directors (CDS).
The County Director shall:-
- Facilitate the processing of teacher registration and enforcement of
the requirements for teacher registration;
- Coordinate teacher recruitment at the county and ensure that the
Commission’s recruitment guidelines in force are adhered to;
- Maintain a data base of registered teachers including the unemployed teachers within the county;
- Manage aspects of teacher management as per the existing policy
and guidelines within the county through: –
iv. Receiving and recommending teachers’ study leave;
v. Handling disciplinary matters as directed by the Commission Secretary; and
vii. Identifying through a competitive process and recommending to the Commission Secretary, teachers to be deployed to administrative positions;
- Implement guidelines issued by the Commission from time to time;
- Maintain a data base for all administrative posts in the county;
- Maintain a data bank of all teacher vacancies available at the county;
- Coordinate identification and selection of candidates for Teacher Professional Development Courses (TPDC) within the county as per the guidelines issued by the Commission from time to time;
- Coordinate teacher promotions under the common cadre establishment within the county;
- Ensure that teachers comply with the teaching standards prescribed by the Commission;
- Monitor the conduct and performance of teachers at the county level;
- Oversee performance appraisal of teachers at the county level;
- Submit other reports related to performance of teachers as the
Commission may require from time to time;
- Transmit reports from heads of institutions to the Commission;
- Supervise staff within the county;
- Advise the respective county governments on matters relating to
the teaching profession;
- Establish mechanisms to enhance communication and service delivery at the county;
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the Commission from time to time.
- Liaise with the Commission Secretary and other stakeholders in resource mobilization.
- In discharging the functions spelt out under the Code or Regulations for Teachers, the County Director shall at all times be answerable to, and work under the direction of the Commission Secretary
Leave a Reply