The guidelines for the implementation of the Junior Secondary Schools (JSS) Curriculum are now available. The recommendations will enable current primary school administrators to implement the JSS curriculum.
Among the concerns addressed in the guidelines are:
- Finance Management and allocation from the Government.
- Structure of Leadership in JSS.
- Infrastructure Management and shared use.
- Basic Education Act.
- Areas of Learning in JSS.
- Learners’ Welfare in JSS i.e., new distinct uniform.
- Staffing in JSS and Teaching load
According to the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development’s curriculum design for Grade 7, learners will attend 45 sessions per week, with each lesson lasting 40 minutes.
Junior secondary comprises of Grade 7, 8 and 9. Below are compulsory and optional subjects offered in junior secondary.
2. Kiswahili or Kenyan Sign Language for learners who are deaf
4. Integrated Science
5. Health Education
6. Pre-Technical and Pre-Career Education
7. Social Studies
8. Religious Education – learners choose one of the following:
- Christian Religious Education
- Islamic Religious Education
- Hindu Religious Education
9. Business Studies
11. Life Skills Education
12. Sports and Physical Education
OPTIONAL SUBJECTS (Minimum 1, Maximum 2)
1. Visual Arts
2. Performing Arts
3. Home Science
4. Computer Science
5. Foreign Languages:
10. Indigenous Languages
11. Kenyan Sign Language
GUIDELINES FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF JUNIOR SECONDARY EDUCATION