Ezekiel Machogu, the Education Cabinet Secretary, has selected new Vice Chancellors (VCs) for public universities since the terms of the outgoing VCs have come to an end.
The following vice chancellors have recently been appointed.
- Professor Barasa Lwagula for Alupe University
- Professor Peter Nganga Muchiri for Dedan Kimathi University of Technology (DKUAT)
- Professor Joyce Jepkirui Agali for Machakos University
- Professor Benedict Mwavu Mutua for Technical University of Kenya ( TUK)
- Professor Peter K Muriuungi for Tharaka University
- Professor James H P Kahindi for Pwani University
- Professor Linus Muthuri Gitonga for Karatina University
- Professor Nathan Oyori Ogechi for Kisii University
- Professor Doglas Shitanda for South Eastern Kenya University
- Professor Thomas Kimeli Cheruiyot for University of Eldoret (UoE)
- Professor Emily Achieng Akumo for Jaramogi University of Science and Technology (JKUAT)
- Professor Charles Omondi for Tom Mboya University
- Professor Eric Kipyegon Koech for University of Kabianga
The overall development initiatives of the different institutions will also fall under the supervision of these 13 new VCs.
Following the expiration of the terms of the previous university administrations, the Public Service Commission (PSC) posted job openings in a number of institutions. Months later, Machogu’s ministry made the announcement.
The University Academic Staff Union (UASU) pleaded with the government on July 31 to hasten the appointment of new vice chancellors at public universities where the tenures of incumbent VCs had ended.
Officials from UASU contended that the impacted universities were experiencing management difficulties as a result of working with acting vice chancellors who were unable to make important decisions.